If the Build option is missing in the Build menu there are some possible causes/solutions:
- Press F6: this will build the solution (whether the Build option is in the Build menu or not)
- Rightclick your solution and click Build
- Enable the Tools → Settings → Expert Settings menu option
- Go to Tools → Options
In the dialog box, check Show All Settings option in the bottom left.
- In the above dialog, now choose Projects and Solutions → General.
Check the option Show advanced build configurations.
- Click OK.
- For me this did not help, but when I switched from Expert Settings to Basic Settings, the Build option was back again. This made me conclude there was something screwed up in my settings.
- I switched back to Expert Settings, and reset the Settings (Tools, Settings, Reset): now the Build option was back, and everything was back to normal after I manually set the settings.
To switch between Release and Debug:
- Show advanced build configurations need to be checked
- Build, Configuration Manager
- Active solution configuration: select Debug or Release